Education Admission Timetable
You should apply for your child to start primary or infant school if they:
- were born between 1 September 2019 and 31 August 2020
- are in year 2 at an infant school and need a place in year 3 at a junior or primary school
Children can start school at any time until they reach the compulsory school age, which is the term after the child turns 5.
You can request to delay your child’s start date until later in the academic year but not after they reach the compulsory school age.
You can also request that your child takes up their school place part-time until they reach the compulsory school age.
You can learn more about delaying starting school in our going to school in Lincolnshire guide, which also includes further general information on applying for a primary or junior school place.
|15 November 2023
|15 January 2024
|Admissions close (national closing date)
|9 February 2024
|Lincolnshire final closing date for late applications and changes (your application may not be accepted if you apply to schools outside of Lincolnshire).
|17 April 2024
|Admissions reopen for late applications or changes
|17 May 2024
|20 May 2024
|Admissions reopen for one day (for paper or telephone applications only)
When you apply:
- you can select up to three schools, which you should put in order of your preference
- it is recommended to check if your child is eligible for free school transport before you apply, as this might determine which schools you choose to apply for
- you can amend your application at any time before the final closing date. If you miss the first closing date, you must wait until admission reopens. Please note this might not apply if you apply to a school outside of Lincolnshire. If this is the case, please check with the relevant authority for the school
- if your child needs a school place in a different year group or wants to move schools at another point during the year, you will need to apply to move schools
If we receive your application during the initial admission opening dates, we will release offers on the following date:
- Primary schools: 16 April 2024
How to appeal
If you wish to appeal a school place decision please see the link below for further details
How to find your nearest school
If you are unhappy with the way the appeal hearing was conducted, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.
The Ombudsman is unable to overturn a panel’s decision but may suggest a fresh appeal with a new panel and clerk.
Complaints about academy appeals need to be sent to the Education Funding Agency by:
- emailing email@example.com
- or writing to Admission Appeal Complaints, Academies Central Unit, Education Funding and Skills Agency, Earlsdon Park, Butts Road, Coventry, CV1 3BH
Or contact Mrs Gemma Atkinson, Hillcrest Early Years Academy Admission Officer on 01427 613483.